Welcome to our section on perch fishing tips. The information in this section will give you whatever you need to know about perch and perch fishing. It will not matter if you’re simply starting with fishing or if you’ve been fishing for 30 years, the info in this section will make you a much better perch fisherman. You’ll be able to start by finding out standard information about perch, followed by a few of the best perch fishing tips offered to us. Along with that you’ll likewise be able to see the all-time perch fishing records, fundamental facts about perch and a list resources for more research into perch fishing.
- About Perch (Perca flavescens, perca fluviatilis and perca schrenkii).
- Perch Fishing Tips, Tricks and Techniques.
- Perch All-Tackle World Fishing Records.
- Perch Facts and Stats.
- More Resources on Perch Fishing.
About Perch (Flavescens, fluviatilis and shrenkii).
Perch is a typical name for several types of fish types; yellow perch (perca flavescens), European perch (perca fluviatilis) and balkharsh perch (perca schrenkii). They are freshwater fish that are carnivorous, and commonly found in lakes, ponds, rivers and streams. Their diet include shellfish (crayfish), small fish and (depending upon their size) aquatic pests. They are an incredibly popular fish amongst anglers and many other fish that resemble them are called perch, but these other fish are really members of another genera. Perch swim in schools and tend to be most active at dawn and sunset when feeding.
You can identify a yellow perch by its brass-colored body with unique green-olive, triangular shaped bars that run vertically along its body. The yellow perch is one of the most common pan fish in The United States and Canada. They can measure up to 10 years and reach a typical length of 5 to 11 inches. Perch that are bigger than average can be described as jumbos or jack perch.The record catch for yellow perch is well over 140 years of ages as of 2013 and it is the longest freshwater fishing record still standing. The factor this record is so old can be attributed to pollution, fishing pressure, and other elements.
Perch Fishing Tips, Tricks and Techniques.
You probably concerned this websites for our section on perch fishing ideas. Listed below you’ll find some of the best and most reliable pointers for fishing for perch. A number of these tips are specific to the North American yellow perch, however will work for all perch types.
- The Right Artificial Tempts– Synthetic lures can work well, but you need to select the right type- otherwise you are losing your time. We suggest utilizing a set of poppers in addition to a light-weight jig.
- The Best Live Bait– Perch fishing has altered over the years, however their love for food hasn’t. Live bait is usually more efficient than artificial lures. Among the best baits to use are soft shells (crayfish). This type of bait works all year round. If soft shells aren’t offered then minnows will work simply as well in cool water while night spiders will work much better in warmer water.
- Use a Crappie Rig– A crappie rig is a fantastic method to catch perch as well as see what they might be biting on in your area. We like to rig up different types of live bait on our crappie rigs and see what they stand out on. Once we understand, we’ll double up our rig with the bait that works and then await a bite. Absolutely nothing is more interesting that nailing 2 jumbo perch in one shot. If you’re not a fan of crappie rigs then an easy slip bobber setup will work simply as well.
- Don’t Get Mugged– Perch are well-known bait burglars and you’ll want to make sure you use a little hook to avoid them from getting away. Likewise aim to keep your bait on the idea of your hook to much better improve your chances of setting a hook when a perch strikes it.
- Do not Lose time– When you capture your first perch don’t waste time getting rid of the hook and re-baiting. Perch are education fish and where you discover one you’ll discover much more. Their schools do not remain in one place for long, so make sure when you discover a school you fish it as fast as possible; for this reason the use of a crappie rig as discussed above.
Perch All-Tackle World Fishing Records.
Have you ever wondered how your monster perch compares with the all-time world record? The IGFA (International Game Fish Association) keeps and updates global fishing records for all fish species, consisting of perch. Due to fishing pressure, pollution and other factors the yellow perch record hasn’t been broken in over a 148 years! Who knows, perhaps you’ll get the winning ticket and snag the next future world record perch!
- Perch World RecordDr. C. Abbot captured a yellow perch (perca flavescens) in Bordentown, New Jersey in the USA on May 1st, 1865 that weighed 1.91 kg (4 lbs. 3 oz.).
- Perch World RecordKalle Vaaranen captured a european perch (perca fluviatilis) in Kokar, Aland Islands in Finland on September Fourth, 2010 that weighed 2.9 kg (6 pounds. 6 oz.).
Perch Facts and Stats.
Are you searching for some fundamental facts and statistics on perch? If so then the data listed below is ideal for you! Some of the details below represents the top 5% of the bell curve for weight, length, size, and so on for perch. The concept was to supply educational facts and data that would represent what the average angler would discover when fishing for perch. A few of the info is likewise specific to Yellow perch (p. flavescens).
- Scientific Name: Perca flavescens, perca fluviatilis and perca schrenkii.
- Label( s): American Perch, coontail, lake perch, raccoon perch, ring-tail perch, ringed perch and stripped perch. (Yellow perch, p. flavescens).
- Range: The United States and Canada.
- Life expectancy: Up to 13 years (Yellow perch, p. flavescens).
- Length: As much as 18 ″ (Yellow perch, p. flavescens).
- Weight: As much as 4+ pounds (Yellow perch, p. flavescens).
More Resources on Perch Fishing.
We hope that the details supplied on this page makes you a better perch angler. In case you ‘d still want to continue your research into perch fishing we created the listed below list of 3rd celebration websites. They must suffice for expanding your knowledge base and if you understand of any other sites that need to be listed below then please let us know and we simply may add it.
- Perch– Wikiedpa– Discover more about perch and the three most typical species of perch on Wikipedia.