All eyes were locked on the horizon: a mix of stripers and blues had owned a school of sand eels to the surface.
The frenzy drew in a flock of gulls, which in turn brought in a picket line of anglers planting their feet right at the water’s edge. I stood among the surfcasters, ready the blitz to move into range.
Come on, a little closer … a little closer … Here we go!
What Are the Best Surf Fishing Metal Lures?
The diving birds and breaking fish lastly moved within the 100-yard mark, and every angler sprang into action. I unleashed a herculean cast with my 11-foot browse rod and listened to the line put through the guides, brought by the weight of the lure. I saw it land with a plunk right in the middle of the school of fish. A few other fishermen landed casts ingot he fray too, however as I picked up my slack line and started my retrieve, most of the other fishermen were desperately drawing in surface poppers to take a 2nd shot at reaching the action. Three develops into my retrieve, I hooked up, and a quick glance down the beach exposed that every angler utilizing a metal lure was leaning back into a fish.
It’s for minutes like this that every surfcaster needs to keep a few of these basic, reliable, long-casting lures in their plug bag. Reaching far-off fish, nevertheless, is not the only reason to stock up on metal lures, or “casting tins,” as they are frequently called by surfcasters.
For many years, I used metal lures for two reasons only: to reach out-of-range blitzes and to feed bluefish an offering they couldn’t ruin. I bought into several prevalent mistaken beliefs about these lures: that metals just catch bass during a blitz, that metals will not operate at night, that metals need to be fished with a quick recover. As a result, I failed to make the most of the remarkable versatility of metal lures in the surf.
So, what are the top surf fishing lures? Metals are available in a range of sizes and styles from a number of makers, but there are a few qualities that apply for all them. For one, metals are the best-casting lures offered to the surfcaster, period. The combination of heavy weight and fairly little size allows anglers to fill up the rod and send the lures seaward with very little wind resistance. Metals can be operated in a variety of methods: bounced along the bottom, swum through the middle of the water column, even splashed throughout the surface area as topwaters. Metals can simulate almost any baitfish and will lure practically every types that ventures into the Northeast surf. I have actually captured stripers, blues, fluke, weakfish, croakers, cow- nose rays, false albacore and Spanish mackerel on metal lures cast from the beach.
- Exquisite Appearance: Metal jigs features natural fish profile, good-looking, attractive colors, realistic 3D eyes and molded gills for fish-tempting visual enticement.
- Asymmetrical Design: Irregular fishing lure makes the high-quality UV coating refract different colors. Allow it to flash and vibrate, and make it look like a falling injured or dead minnow.
- UV Coating: Jigging lures are fitted with UV coating, allow it to glow underwater, make maximum use of available light to help fish locate baits in from a distance.
- Sharp Hooks: Equipped with a treble hook with a hand-tied bucktail trailer that produces fish-tempting undulations. Ultra-sharp conical points, allow for quicker penetration on any predator that bites.
- A Fatal Temptation: Suitable for light jigging for fishing such as small Tuna, Kingfish, Snapper, Amberjack, Cobia, Coral Trout and a massive array of other saltwater fish species.
- Each bait is hand-tuned and tank-tested for perfect swimming action right out of the box, even gets the undivided attention of other disinterested gamefish.
- Our Multi-Coat Coloring is SCIENTIFICALLY DESIGNED to Enhance Appearance to Fish in All Conditions - Our Dark to Light Color Contrasts & 3D Geometric Patterns Create Multi-Angled Light Reflection Maximizing Underwater Visibility
- MUSTAD STRONG FORGED HIGH CARBON STEEL Hook with MILITARY GRADE KEVLAR Assist Cord
- the front with glow strips and flat on back.,Vertical sinking with different actions. Super jigs in dark.
- OCEAN CAT Fishing Lure slow fall metal jigs made by super 9T lead material, hard and difficult deformation.
- VARIOUS FISHING LURES: 1 pack bait rig, 1 bucktail jig, 1 minnow lure(random color), 2 egg sinkers, 5 crappie jigs, 5 sinker slides, 6 sinker weights, 6 wire leaders hooks, 10 plastic red hearts, 12 stainless steel wire rigs, 15 three way swivels, 15 barrel swivel snaps, 20 circle hooks, 20 baitholder hooks, 30 fishing beads, for a total of 150 pieces.
- STRONG & DURBALE: All the tackles are made of quality material, high hardness, good corrosion resistance, and will not easily rust.
- VERSATILE GEAR: The surf fishing tackle kit is a super compact and convenient kit that comes in the fundamental surf fishing rigs, sinkers, hooks, lures and terminal tackle, a variety of styles and color combinations.
- WIDE APPLICATION: The tackle set has all you need for saltwater fishing on the beach. Great in many different fishing situations, whether for pier, jetty, beach or boat.
- GREAT GIFT: Portable box protect the equipment from rust, organize takles easily, convenient to carry. A wonderful gift for fisherman.
- Ultimate Fishing Log Book Tracker (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 110 Pages - 07/07/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- Fishing wire leaders rigs complete with fishing wire leaders, crane swivels to keep hooks free of leader, gold interlock snaps and red beads.
- High-strength --- Made of High-strength Stainless Steel and abrasion resistantce and corrsion resistantce, Into the sea is not easy to rust. High strength snap to catch bigger fish.
- Test Weight --- Main leader tested is about 90 lbs, arms tested about 55 lbs. Using for Fishing Lure Spinner/minnow/popper/crankbait/metal spoons/sharp hook/hard lures.
- Red Beads --- The red beads can be use on fishing rigs, lures, hooks or on your line just above the hook for added attraction while fishing or deep water fishing. It can also protect the head of fishing rod and float chamber. Suitable for stream, pool, saltwater fishing and so on.
- Package Content --- Stainless Steel Fishing Wires Rigs 12PCS, Length 21.65INCH (2 Arms). Long enough to fish in the saltwater/lake/river and sea.
- Genius new lures combines all classic features from minnows, crankbaits, swimbaits and metal jigs. In a word, it is an all-purpose lure kit for freshwater and saltwater
- Metal jig heads allows jigging off the bottom with the ABS body pointing upward, mimicking a struggle wound baitfish. Yet, you can twitch or jerk them like a normal minnow, then the jointed design will present you extremely wobbling action like a panic shad
- With the middle-place lip and internal chamber system, you can balance the lures sinking speed properly to cover different water volume, meanwhile enjoy longer casting distance
- These lures features pretty detail look with bulging 3D eyes ,laser holographic painting and the feathered treble hooks. All patterns are strictly selected and proved to be productive underwater
- This casting jigs minnow kit includes 4 different Colors of segmented jointed.Weight: 2/3oz, Length:2-4/5". Catch bass, trout, walleye, cod, bream and rock fishing trophy fish. It is the best gift for any anglers
- ArmourSight lenses are engineered for superior optical clarity and impact resistance
- Ultralight ArmourFusion frames are built for maximum strength and durability
- Co-molded rubber nose pad and temple arms for a no-slip comfortable fit
- Defends against 100% of harmful UVA/B/C rays
- This Jigging Metal Spoons includes 5 Different Colors of Metal Lures,5PCS Lure in One Plastic Box.
- Metal Lures with Good-Looking and Attractive Color, The vivid eye Looks Totally Real and Hooks are Chemically Sharpened, Twin Assist,Heavy-duty Mustad,Connected Via Heavy Duty Dacron and Rings, Strong enough to Handle the Powerful Runs, Teeth and Slamming Head Action of Pelagic Species.
- The Jigging Lures Give You the Flexibility to Fishing Anywhere in the Water Column. It is this Utility, with the Lures Build Quality that make the Micro Jig Lures and Essential Addition to Your Jigging Tackle Arsenal.
- Suitable for Light Jigging for Fishing such as Small Tuna, Kingfish,Snapper, Amberjack, Cobia, Coral Trout and a Massive Array of Other Saltwater Fish Species.
- Build Quality is Outstanding. Your Sougayilang Jigs Fishing Lures will Handle The Punishment of Many Hard Battles.Retrieve Techniques are Limited Only By Your Imagination.
- PRODUCE MORE FLASH: Sougayilang fishing spoons display brilliant flash in the water due to its genuine silver and gold plating, and more reflective surfaces attract fish and make them strike.
- UNIQUE 'S' SHAPE: Its unique 'S' shape allows it to move in the water like no other spoon. It looks like swimming action and rapid diving action into water.
- EXTRA NOISE: The dimpled texture on these spoons creates extra noise and reflects more light in the water to attract fish.The high quality solid brass construction is rust-resistant and durable.
- FRIENDLY: water-based environmentally friendly premium paint finishes.
- Weight: approx 0.53oz/pc, Length approx 4in including the hook and feather. Pack of 5pcs. Ideal for trout, pickerel, panfish, smallmouth bass, snapperblues etc.
Metal Selection and Tactics
Your local tackle shop most likely has an entire wall devoted to metal lures, and the question of which to buy can be a bit confounding. Choosing a metal depends mostly on the target species, the common baitfish and the water conditions. For surfcasting in the Northeast, I divide metal lures into four classifications: sand eel impersonators, peanut bunker/sea herring copy cats, basic function metals and specific niche metals.
Sand Eel Imitators
Sand-eel-imitating metals, like the Point Jude PoJee and the Ava Jig with tubing, are long-term fixtures in my plug bag. Slim, sand-eel-mimicking metal lures don’t have much fundamental action, but anglers can impart their own action to make them tempting to fish. When fishing these lures, keep the routines of sand eels in mind. They will burrow into the sand, so occasionally dragging your metal along the bottom to send up a puff of debris might get the attention of any close-by bass. Lifting and dropping these lures is another effective retrieve. A constant recover while periodically pumping the rod will also draw strikes from sand-eel-crazed bass and blues.
When diving birds or spraying baitfish aren’t betraying the area of feeding fish, attempt casting these metals over sandbars and working them through the white water formed by breaking waves. If there are sand eels in the area, this technique is close to a sure thing. Waves breaking over sandbars dislodge the slim baitfish, and bass and blues wait in the much deeper water at the edges of these bars for an easy meal.
Lures from 1 to 2 ounces will work under many conditions, however if the current is running hard or there is a strong onshore wind, bumping up to a 3-ounce metal could conserve the day.
Given its little profile, this type of metal lure will sink quickly, so it requires a relatively quick recover if you wish to keep it above the bottom. If a slow obtain is had to hook fish, you’ll have to rely on a wide-profile metal lure.
Peanut Bunker/Sea Herring Imitators
When deep-bodied baitfish like mullet, peanut bunker and sea herring are running the beaches in the fall, I clip on metal lures with similarly large profiles that ride high in the water column, have a great deal of wobble and give off a great deal of flash. The Point Jude Butterfish, Point Jude Sea Scallop and the Krocodile spoon perfectly mimic these baitfish.
These metals work well on a straight, slow retrieve because their broad profile causes them to airplane towards the surface. I’ll add in the occasional stop to let the lure flutter to the bottom, and on a regular basis the strikes will come as quickly as I resume my obtain. I’ll cast them along the edges of peanut bunker schools or next to jetties or rockpiles that decrease the baitfish on their migration south.
With these lures, the goal is to fish high in the water column with a reasonably slow recover, so draws from 1 to 2 ounces work best. Clip on something heavier than that, and you’ll have to obtain too quickly for it to be reliable.
General Purpose Metals for Surf Fishing
General function metals are the ones that I use throughout the year for a wide variety of types. The lures that fall under this classification are the Hopkins No= Eql, Kastmaster, Point Jude Nautilus and A.O.K. T-Hex, all with bucktail teaser hooks. I particularly like utilizing these metals along sandy beaches that have structure a long way from the coastline. In these scenarios, when soft-plastic lures, bucktails and even most plugs will not reach the fish-holding water, I turn to “basic function” metals. These lures can be effective on really sluggish retrieves, permitting you to keep the lure in the strike zone longer, particularly if that strike zone is at completion of your cast.
I likewise use these metals as prospecting lures to discover fish that are expanded. One early September morning, I walked along about a mile of sandy beach casting a Hopkins Shorty. There was relatively little structure and just a few scattered schools of small baitfish– nothing to concentrate the fish. I made my way down the beach, casting indiscriminately, switching my recover from slow and consistent to quick and irregular to bottom-bouncing. By the end of the trip, I ‘d captured stripers, bluefish, and a number of fluke, including one keeper. By slightly changing the obtain, I was able to target numerous types with the very same lure.
Specific niche Metals
The term “niche metals” describes lures that stand out at one particular application. For example, 3⁄4- to 1-ounce Deadly Dicks and Swedish Pimples are impressive false albacore and bonito lures, but I rarely, if ever, use them when these speedsters aren’t around. Other metal lures in this category are the heavy 4- to 5-ounce Crippled Herring lures I use in the Cape Cod Canal and the 4-ounce Kastmasters and Ava jigs I use during fall Nor’easter s. During these storms, when the wind is yelling and the waves are developing however the water has actually not yet become silted up, heavy metals shine.
No matter which metals you purchase, I can provide one piece of recommendations: do not wait till the bite is on to go buy them. The popularity of metal lures is almost cyclical, as if anglers never ever think about purchasing them till they absolutely require them. In the spring, when the blues show up, it’s pretty much guaranteed that take on shops will sell out of Krocodile spoons and Kastmasters. The first reports of incorrect albacore are sure to clear out supplies of Deadly Dicks. When the stripers start making a pig of on sand eels in the late fall, finding Ava jigs in the right size can be a chore. It’ses a good idea to buy the metals you may need well ahead of when you prepare to use them.
Tips for Fishing Metals
Though fishing with metal lures is quite uncomplicated once you’ ve found out which designs to fish and when to fish them, these suggestions will help you catch more fish on these timeless lures.
An 8- to 11-foot surf rod ranked from 1 to 3 or 4 ounces will cover most of your metal fishing needs. Simply make sure the lures you are casting fall within the capabilities of your rod. A moderate- to fast-action rod will work just fine, but the quicker the rod action, the farther you will have the ability to cast metals.
Because metals periodically spin during the obtain, use a barrel swivel to attach your leader to your primary line. Otherwise, your line will twist and eventually cause a major tangle.
I do not like utilizing metal lures with treble hooks. It makes unhooking fish harder, and hooksets merely aren’t as solid with a treble hook. A large Siwash hook has more “bite,” enabling more secure hooksets and less lost fish. A single hook dressed with bucktail gives the lure some added appeal, too.
Metals make an excellent lure to “provide” light-weight teasers to fish that are focused on little baits. In the fall, when bass, blues and albies key in on little bay anchovies or sand eels, fishing a teaser will sometimes be the only way to get a bite. Due to the fact that teaser rigs increase an offering’s wind resistance, fishing teasers decreases casting range. Coupling teasers with metal lures, nevertheless, will mitigate this issue and help you reach the feeding fish. When utilizing slim metals that likewise “match the hatch,” double headers are not uncommon.
The only constraints metal lures have in the browse are the ones you impose on them. When you consider how well metal lures cast, they may be a lot more flexible than the bucktail jig. So toss a few of these oft-overlooked lures into your plug bag next time you’re headed for the high browse. Casting tins have actually been catching striped bass and blues for generations and will continue to do so for several years to come.
Last update on 2021-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API